Skip to main content

Oprah Winfrey Admits to Tipping the Scales at 200 Lbs

Having packed 40 pounds onto her former 160-pound self, Oprah Winfrey is declaring, "I'm mad at myself" because she's "fallen off the wagon."

As the media mogul, 54, writes in the January issue of her O magazine hitting newsstands Tuesday (and provided in advance to the Associated Press by Winfrey's Harpo Productions): "I'm embarrassed … I can't believe that after all these years, all the things I know how to do, I'm still talking about my weight. I look at my thinner self and think, 'How did I let this happen again?' "

For starters, the fact that her thyroid was out-of-balance gave her "a fear of working out," she says. "I was so frustrated I started eating whatever I wanted – and that's never good."

Having slimmed down to 160 in 2006, she admits, "Yes, you're adding correctly. That means the dreaded 2-0-0."

Past Diets

Winfrey memorably revealed her new look on her show in 1988 – by wheeling out a wagon loaded with fat to represent the 67 pounds she had shed. On that episode, she sported a pair of size 10 Calvin Klein jeans.

"My greatest failure was in believing that the weight issue was just about the weight," Winfrey told people in 1991. "It's about not handling stress properly."

But when it came to slipping into those jeans, "I had literally starved myself for four months [on a liquid-protein diet] – not a morsel of food," Winfrey, an admitted food addict, said in 2005. "Two hours after that show, I started eating to celebrate – of course, within two days those jeans no longer fit!"

Winfrey's weight has long been a topic on her show – and even for late-night hosts. In 1990, she hit 237 pounds, eventually prompting her in 1996 to enlist personal trainer Bob Greene. At the time, she said she had wanted to bring an end to her roller-coaster weight saga.

'Felt Like a Fat Cow'

Choosing a gown for the Barack Obama inauguration coming up in January, however, made Winfrey realize her self-image was no longer jibed with the person standing on the scales – though the real low point occurred last April.

"I felt like a fat cow," Winfrey writes of the occasion when she sought to skip out on a Las Vegas show taping with Cher and Tina Turner. "I wanted to disappear."

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Winfrey's weight and height rank her as obese, with a body mass index of 31.8 – putting her at "at higher risk for chronic conditions such as high blood pressure, diabetes and high cholesterol," says the CDC.

Winfrey intends to address the issue on The Oprah Winfrey Show, which will kick off Best Life Week Jan. 5.

She is also expected to discuss her weight that same day on her XM satellite radio station's The Gayle King Show. Winfrey will also host interactive live Web casts at Oprah.com the week of Jan. 12 to 16, nightly at 9 p.m. ET.

people mag


Popular posts from this blog

Bret Michaels: I Still Love Ambre Lake

Poison frontman Bret Michaels will be looking for Miss Right again when VH1’s Rock of Love Bus starts shooting next month, but future contestants be warned: he’s still not over season 2 winner Ambre Lake. “I still love her,” Michaels told people on his luxury tour bus Tuesday night moments before stepping onstage at the PNC Bank Arts Center in Holmdel, New Jersey. “I’m not really over her yet. We still hang. She was just out with me a couple days ago and we were having a great time. She’s really got it. I think she’s great.” Season 1 winner Jessica Rickleff dumped the rocker soon after the show ended. In April, Michaels thought he had found love again in 37-year-old Lake. But in July, people reported that they broke up because of their conflicting work schedules. “The reason for destruction of all my relationships is that I’m passionate about being on the road and making music,” he says. “I have great relationships. But the women I date don’t realize that I spend between 6 and

Couture Couple Janet Jackson and Jermaine Dupri

Janet Jackson and Jermaine Dupri get cozy in the front row of the Dior haute couture runway show Monday. Dupri recently said he and the singer are thinking about having a baby after Jackson finishes her fall concert tour.

POINT & CLICK

And they're off! Justin Timberlake and girlfriend Jessica Biel are happy to be on the move as they head to their car while running errands Monday in Los Angeles.